The closest beach is Plakias beach which is just 200 metres away from the villa.
Plakias and Villa Mayeia is an excellent base to explore the south coast of Crete as it is close to numerous amazing natural beaches in the whole Greece, such as the palm beach of Preveli, Triopetra, Agios Pavlos, Ammoudi, Damnoni, Schinaria and Souda. Those beaches are famous for their crystal clear blue waters and attract many visitors as well as locals from around the island. All the above mentioned beaches are organized, providing sun beds and umbrellas, but there are sections on those beaches where you could go be away of the crowd.
- Ammoudaki (2,9 km): The turquoise waters and spectacular white coarse sand, make this small beach popular destination for nudists. Moreover, on the beach there is a small canteen, which also provides umbrellas and sun beds. At the west side of the beach, you can swim till a marine cave, where the sun rays make the color of the water vivid blue. The seabed is sandy and you can walk there. At the other end, there is an under water hole that connects Ammoudaki with Klisidi. So you can get from one beach to another only with a dive. To reach the beaches of Ammoudi on foot, you can walk east of Damnoni, till you meet Ammoudaki.
- Damnoni beach (2,6 km): Here you will find all the services of a well organized beach such as umbrellas, snack bars, showers, changing rooms, water sports, scuba diving centre, great hotels, restaurants, one horse riding centre etc. The west end of the beach, the most organized part, has a small river with water almost all year round. The east end of the beach is quieter and is linked with the adjacent beaches of Ammoudakii via a short dirt road. Moreover, beyond the west end of the beach there are several small coves with sand and rocks, where you can get isolated. These are located just next to the small harbor of the area.
- Korakas beach (Rodakino) (16 km): The village Rodakino is located 45km southeast of Rethymno city. At the exit of the torrent of the canyon, 2km south of the village, there are several beautiful and tranquil beaches. To visit them you should follow the road that leads to Korakas beach. Despite the fact that it has a long beachfront, Rodakino is not highly developed and still retains its traditional character and harmony. The first beach that you come across the exit of the dried river is Korakas.
- Preveli beach (10 km): Beach of Preveli, also known as Lake Preveli or Phoenix, is located at the exit of the imposing Kourtaliotikos Gorge, where the Grand River (Megalos Potamos) flows. It is certainly the most famous beach in south Crete. The river, forming a small lake, 500m long, before emptying into the sea, has water all year round. You can walk along the river, under the shade of palm trees and other trees, and start ascending in the beautiful canyon.
- Fragkokastelo beach (28 km): Fragokastelo (ie the castle of the Franks) is one of the most famous beaches of West Crete, due to the historical Venetian castle on the beautiful beach and the legend of Drosoulites ghosts. The main beach of Frangokastelo is truly magnificent, with sand and shallow turquoise waters, ideal for children and families. It is well organized and is quite busy in peak summer months. The only problem you may encounter here are the often irritating winds blasting from the north, transporting the sand from the beach like sandblasting.